Sunday, July 5, 2009

The phone call you never want to get...

 

So....we were down at Grandma's house, firing up the barbee, waiting for the rest of the family to arrive. I checked my pasta salad--oops--needed a little more dressing....which was home in our fridge. So, Shauna took our van to run up and get it. The next thing we know, she is on the phone, saying that she had been in a little accident and could we come right over??? Uhm, yeah...I think we could probably work that into our schedule. We spotted her on Treat at the bottom of the hill coming down from our house. Our van was parked in the right hand lane, with two lit up patrol cars and the other vehicle behind it. I was happy to see everyone standing and walking around. Always a good sign. We parked Grandma's car and walked over to the 'scene'. Torrey immediately started asking Shauna the details of what happened, since the policemen were busy measuring everything and getting information and all that. The other guy involved in the accident was really telling his side of the story, and as I looked around, it became apparent that he had come out way second in this dual. His right front wheel was off the car and bent in half. He had sustained major axle damage and had lost a window or two and his side mirror as he side swiped some trees and a pole. He was telling the officers that Shauna had forced him off the road, and he had come up onto the curb, hit the tree and pole, and then come back onto the roadway only to lose control and veer back onto the sidewalk. The officers came over to us and informed us that Shauna had "pinched him off" so she was at fault in the accident. Well.....that would have been one scenario, except that the evidence did not support that theory at all. AND--and this is the best part and something the police could not possibly have known--we had a secret weapon. He's our total hero, and no one can really compare with him when it comes to things like this. Oh, no, the truth will most definitely come out when DAD is on the case. So, when they informed us that Shauna was at fault, he very respectfully asked how they had come to that conclusion. Then as they started to explain it, he started to mention that the way they were putting it together just did not make sense. He casually pointed out the point of impact on the curb, and how there was no space for the guy to have done what he said he did without trying to pass her on the right from the turn lane....the guy said, 'Oh, that's a turn lane? I didn't know..." Boosh! Done! Point for us, fault for him, and we walk away vindicated. Gosh, I love, love, love being married to the great American Hero--the REAL one!!!! Yay for you AGAIN, Honeybunch!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

LA Adams said...

Man do I love those kind of heros, the kind that look instead of just listening to the screaming in the foreground. Good job!! I'm sooo glad Shauna is OK! I'm glad the Lord blessed all of you.

Shelli Snyder said...

Oh Daddy ... Remember that time my girlfriends and I wanted to do our senior prank (which we had permission AND keys from the administration to do) and that cop wouldn't let us on campus? You not only insisted we go back, but proceeded to patrol the grounds checking for cops and told me if we got spotted I should make sure I was the one they caught (since they could only catch ONE at a time) because I wouldn't get in trouble with my parents. :) Oh, and the time you took us TP-ing. Oh, and the time he ran back to the train in Florence to get the scarf I'd left on my seat. Oh, and when he told me to break up with certain people and he was ALWAYS right about them. Oh, and the time you got a phone call from ME about damage done to the van that actually WAS my fault but only expressed relief that I was okay ... I didn't even get in trouble! My list could go on and on and on. GOSH I love that man.

Pancake said...

That is AWESOME!!!! WHAT A MAN you have!!

Bonnie said...

Wow, Lowders....thank heavens Shauna is OK. Thank heavens she has two awesome, righteous Fathers looking over her! Love to all!