Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Note to turkeys--it's NOVEMBER.....

 


So yesterday my friend, Kristen, and I were out doing the YES ON PROP 8 door hangers to remind people to vote. We were given the high rent district where there are many mansions. None of which either of us now live or will ever live in. (We have loftier goals) However, it was very fun to sightsee in that area. This is why I was so happy to have Kristen as my partner. Besides being a delightful young woman and a lovely mother of 3 young children, she just happens to be a cross country runner and coach. I'm not. :) She did 100% of the running up to the doors and hanging, while I did 100% of the sitting in the driver's seat of my van, getting a small paper cut on my pinkie from punching out the middle circle on the little paper door hangers....You can clearly see who got the raw end of this deal. My pinkie is doing much better today, thanks for your concern. Anyway, I was beyond grateful for my awesome little partner, who, at the end of the day admitted that her legs were tired from all that mansion running. Some of those inconsiderate folks have driveways that are both long and steep. Now how fair is that to Kristen??? Honestly, I got so tired of waiting down at the bottom of those hills. Like our time isn't precious-- right Kristen?!

Oh--and now for the part about the turkeys. We saw some. The large flock that you see above. It was the highlight of our day, almost. :) Now I know why there are so many letters to the wildlife columnist in our local paper complaining about those ugly beasts. People are constantly writing in saying they just can't get rid of them. They're noisy, stinky, messy, aggressive, highly reproductive, and as you can plainly see, offensively UGLY. They don't look good on anyone's lawn, let alone a mansion lawn. They are not the rich man's pink flamingo by any stretch of the imagination. So, I'm thinking THANKSGIVING. The poor. The needy. The turkey-less. Hey, I grew up slaughtering turkeys and chickens by the hundreds. We spent an entire Christmas day one year chasing, be-heading, and then being chased by headless, blood spurting chickens! My siblings will back me up on that story, since it has burned itself into our subconscience for life, only to be awakened in those tender moments on a psychiatrists couch...So don't think for one moment that I could not "rid" the neighborhood of those swarming turkeys. I so could.

Be afraid, turkeys, be very afraid......
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You were also the one who knew were Walnut was and that was the KEY to our success. I will be your runner any day.

Connie said...

You are too cute for words, Kristen, my lifelong runner girl! Just for fun someday when we are bored, we could go do that again. I'll drive you around and wait in the car while you run up and see if they all kept their little paper door hangers out on their doors. You know, mansion people like those kinds of things... :)
(I'm sure glad I knew where Walnut was, otherwise all would have been lost!) :) :) :)